Saturday, May 26, 2012

This is not Spring, House Stark was Right!

As I sit contemplating how to catch you up with my life these past couple months, my first thought turns to our absolutely unpredictable weather!
This spring, New York has been hot and cold, raining on and off like that Katy Perry Song! Ultimately, I shouldn't complain. I've managed to dodge going out for too long in the rain (except once coming back from shooting a story at "Internet Week NYC"), and I've managed to avoid getting sick for months!

This blog title refers to the motto of House Stark: "Winter is coming." If you don't know House Stark, then you probably haven't seen HBO's series "Game of Thrones", but I bring it up because, after watching the first 10-hour season in less than 24 hours, I started downloading the unabridged audio books for my commutes to work. Calling the book series, A Song of Ice and Fire, extensive would be an understatement, with each audio book clocking it at over 30 hours. This means I have had more than three months entertainment of, basically, crack for the fantasy-lover. Best of all, thanks to my brilliant, librarian girlfriend pointing it out to me, I've been able to download each audio-book, for free, from the New York Public Library, without even leaving my house! I am currently about two thirds of the way through book 4, A Feast for Crows, and since there will be at least seven books when the author George R. R. Martin finishes the series, you can be sure I won't be talking to anyone on my way to and from the office for several more months.

This also means I have been neglecting my favorite podcast, "The Joe Rogan Experience", but I managed to make up for that by finally seeing him live! Yes! I paid a fortune to buy originally $40 tickets online from "StubHub", which is basically sanctioned, online ticket-scalping, but whatever! Not only was Joe Rogan hilarious and worth the money, the show was opened by my two favorite podcast guests Duncan Trussell and Joey "Coco" Diaz! Duncan brought the house down early with his spiritual pot-head brand of humor, and Joey, a New York native transplanted from Cuba, told stories about the tumultuous "good old days" in NYC and New Jersey, and punching prostitutes "just out of respect" (His humor is not for everyone, but if you enjoy bawdy, there:s no one better!). After the show Wendy and I hung out to get our pics taken with them, so I have these as mementos!
Sir Duncan Trussell

Two of my most favorite people in the world

  













As soon as I returned from my vacation in Thailand, North Korea decided to attempt to launch a satellite into orbit, or as some people put it: "Test a long-range missile", funny how different two perspectives on the same event can be... But anyway, that meant long hours following their UN representatives, asking for comments, and kept my jet-lag going, basically for the entire month of April.
Work these past few months has flown by, too. Often times, the weekend comes and before I feel like I've had a break, it's suddenly Sunday night! But no sooner do I think, "Where did my weekend go?", than it's already Friday again! Here are some photos I've taken while on interesting jobs, just from the last month:
These are a few of my coworkers on the roof of our building, overlooking the Hudson:
The Space Shuttle comes to NYC
Don't forget to click on photos to see them larger.



Halfway up the new 1 World Trade Center

71st floor, shooting stand-up report in front overlooking Brooklyn


We were where the top edge of the glass stopped

Inside the first floor of 1WTC

The smaller test engine is for the Mitsubishi MRJ

At Pratt & Whitney in Hartford, Conn.

Craig Newmark of Craigslist.org giving a speech about the internet.
Internet Week in SoHo (in between rain storms)
My reporter interviewing Krishna, a Google+ user


My first trip to the New York Stock Exchange

I got a little artistic on this one, but we were in Times Square covering Facebook being traded on NASDAQ
  Hope you've enjoyed! Tune in next time to hear about a Doctor Who-themed bar in Brooklyn and lots of photos of delicious food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ok... I asked for it. What do you think?